10, Barrack St.

Address 2:

Marlborough Street


059 9131237


087 2535999
087 6217450



Who should I contact first when it is time to arrange a funeral?

As the undertaker will make all of the arrangements on your behalf, liaising with the hospital or doctor, the Church, the newspapers, the cemetery or crematorium, it is best to contact the Funeral Director first and all of the arrangements can be channeled through him. This will save you time and possibly some distress at such a difficult time.

How do we register the death?

A death which occurs in a hospital is normally registered by the hospital staff. However, a death which occurs at home or in a nursing home should be registered with the local Register of Births, Deaths and Marriages by a relative, a person present at the death or an occupier of the house in which the death occurred.

The person who goes to register the death must bring with them a Medical Certificate of the Cause of Death signed by the Medical Practitioner (Doctor) who last regularly attended the deceased. Deaths which have been referred to the Coroner are registered when the Registrar receives a certificate of the post-mortem or inquest from the Coroner.

What is the role of the Funeral Director?

To assume responsibility for ensuring that every aspect of the funeral is organised and carried out in keeping with the religious and personal preferences and within the agreed budget.

To provide help, support and guidance when and as required.
To provide relevant information and assistance before, during and after the funeral.
To care for the deceased in the areas of preparation and presentation for viewing.
To arrange for the care and transportation of the deceased and that of the mourners.

To arrange for payments to the Church, Cemetery or Crematorium, newspapers, florists, musicians, caterers etc.

What is embalming?

Embalming is a service which allows the deceased to be presented with natural colouring and the absence of odour or other unpleasant changes, which would otherwise naturally follow soon after death.

What is a Pre-Paid Funeral Plan?

A Pre-Paid Funeral Plan allows any person the opportunity to plan in advance and to make financial provision for a funeral sometime in the future. Such plans are often used to give assurance that the costs of a funeral will not be a source of difficulty, especially to relatives and friends. They are sometimes used to order, and thereby guarantee, desired funeral arrangements.

When and how are the funeral costs paid?

The cost of the funeral is one of the primary concerns for anyone arranging a funeral. The Funeral Director will assist you in deciding on a funeral which conforms with the wishes of the deceased and the needs of the family, and which is within the family's budget.

Funeral invoices are usually issued a couple of weeks after the funeral takes place, and the family is asked to settle the account within a matter of weeks. If you are having difficulty finding the money to pay the invoice please inform us as soon as possible.

What is a Death Grant?

This is a lump sum, payable on the death of an insured person, or of the spouse or dependent child of an insured person. The Grant is paid provided contribution conditions are satisfied, either on the deceased person's record or on that of the spouse or parent of the deceased. Claim forms are available from: Department of Social Welfare, Deaths Grant Section, Ballinalee Road, Longford. Tel: (01) 874 8444 or (043) 45211.

How do I claim a Bereavement Grant?

You can get the application forms by phoning LoCall 1890 20 23 25 or LoCall 1890 500 000 or you can get one at your Social Welfare Local Office, local Post Office or Citizens Information Centre. The forms can also be downloaded from the internet at

What if I don't qualify for a Bereavement Grant?

If you do not qualify for a Bereavement Grant you may get assistance towards the funeral expenses under the Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA) scheme, which is operated by the Health Service Executive. No social insurance contributions are required as payment is based on the means of the person responsible for paying the funeral bill. You should apply to your local Community Welfare Officer at your local Health Centre before you pay the funeral bill, as the cheque will be issued to the undertaker/funeral director.

The SWA scheme also provides for Exceptional Needs Payments in particular situations.

Is it possible to delay the funeral for a few days?

With today's modern embalming techniques it is possible to delay a funeral a considerable length of time.

What is a Post Mortem/ P M/Autopsy?

Where a deceased has not been attending a Doctor or there is no history of illness it will be necessary to perform a P M to ascertain the exact cause of death.

Can I object to a P M?

If the post mortem has been ordered by the Coroner you cannot object or stop a post mortem taking place If the coroner orders a P M in most cases it means that there is no Doctor willing to issue a cause of death cert and therefore it would be impossible to obtain a death cert. If the Hospital authorities ask your permission to perform a P M you are quite entitled to refuse provided that there is a Doctor willing to issue a cause of death cert.

Is Cremation cheaper than a burial type funeral?

No two funerals are the same therefore no two funerals cost the same. With cremation you do not have to purchase a burial plot so therefore there is a saving there. But should you decide to inter the ashes in the cemetery there is a charge for that If you already own a cemetery plot you will find that the cremation cost are similar to the grave opening fees. In general similar type funerals be they burial or cremation will not differ greatly in price.